People spend a lot of time choosing the style and design of doors they wish to install at their homes. However, when it comes to door hinges no one pays much heed. This is the wrong approach. Door hinges come in as many styles and materials as the doors and must be given as much thought before finalizing. After all, this is what will keep your door intact and ensure smooth movement. A fancy door with a wrongly matched door hinge will be of no good. Door hinges need to be selected carefully based on the kind of door you are installing and as to where it is being installed.
There are Different Kinds of Hinges for Cabinet Doors, Front Doors, Interior Doors, and so on.
Choosing Hinges for Interior Doors
Different kinds of door hinges are suitable for different kinds of doors. One that is good for a heavy front door does not go well with an interior door or a cabinet door and vice –versa. It is essential to consider the size, material, and style of your door while choosing hinges for the same. Hinges that are apt for interior doors include double action spring hinges, bi-fold hinges, and butterfly hinges. Double action spring hinges hold the door well. They allow the door to swing effortlessly in both directions. Bi-fold hinges have several leaves that keep the door intact and render good functionality. Butterfly hinges are another great choice for internal doors as they look beautiful and can add to the appeal of your ambiance.
Picking Hinges for Exterior Doors
External doors are quite sturdy. They are made up of heavy-duty material and come in use more frequently. It is thus imperative to choose solid hinges that can withhold their weight and also bear the frequent swinging. Hinges that are apt for your exterior doors include butt hinges. These hinges are popular because of their ability to bear heavy weight doors. Ball-bearing hinges are another great choice for exterior doors. These are sturdy, durable and reliable and do not wear out even if the door comes in use frequently. Hospital hinges that are known for their small size are also appropriate for exterior doors. Flush hinges, pivot hinges, and strap hinges are some other varieties of hinges that can withhold heavy doors and thus make for a good choice for exterior doors.
Selecting Hinges for Cabinet Doors
If you are looking for appropriate hinges for cabinet doors then barrel hinges are a great choice. These light-duty hinges are just the right choice for your cabinets. Case hinges are also a good choice for cabinet doors. These are strong and durable and come in fancy designs that enhance the appeal of your cabinet. You may go for piano hinges if you have a tall cabinet.
Consider the Design
The design of the door hinges must also be given consideration. Not that it impacts the look and feel of your interiors much but it does make some difference. Olive knuckle hinges, butterfly hinges, and case hinges are well designed and add grace to your fancy doors. Olive knuckle hinge comes in the shape of the alphabet H. It is visible when the door is open and hides when it closes. Butterfly door hinges are crafted in the shape of a butterfly. These hinges look attractive. Case hinges are known for their decorative designs. These do not only go well with interior doors but are also an apt choice for fancy cabinets and chests.
Quality is of Utmost Important
The quality of the hinges is of utmost importance. You must go for the door hinges that are durable and strong. It is best to determine your requirements and pick door hinges accordingly to ensure you pick up appropriate pieces. Poor quality door hinges or those wrongly matched will require frequent fixing. You may even require replacing them. So, in order to avoid such hassles, it is better to go for the best quality hinges.
Some Important Factors for the Right Hinges for Cabinet Doors
When it comes to cabinets, you can find a whole range of hinges that differs based on their size, look, and functionality. Choosing the right hinges for cabinet doors is crucial as the door’s overall appearance and performance depend on the hinges used.
Finding the right hinge for your cabinet doors may seem like an easy task as most people don’t realize that there is a whole bucket of options available in the market. But don’t you worry.
Important factors that You Can Consider to Buy the Right Hinge for Your Door.
- The hinge material: Cabinet door hinges come in an array of materials, like stainless steel, bronze, copper, cast iron, and others. The hinges can be selected based on where your cabinets are located. For example, for a bathroom cabinet, you can go for stainless steel hinges with high corrosion-resistant property. The material from which the hinges are made matters when you want to add more years of effective workability to your cabinet doors.
- The design and finish: The functionality of the hinge is the primary factor that needs to be considered while buying the right one, but what about the design and finish of the hinge? They both are also equally important. You can easily find hinges in a vast array of designs, and finishes like brushed nickel, antique brass, pewter, oil rubbed bronze, etc. Choose a hinge which design and finish complement the look of your cabinet door.
- Height of the door: The height of the door will help you determine the number of hinges required to hold it. Big cabinets require more hinges as compared to the smaller ones. By mounting the door on the right number of hinges, you are ensuring its smooth performance for years to come.
- The thickness and width of the door: The door’s thickness and width will help you determine the size of the hinge required to be used. By using the right-size hinge, you can ensure that the door will stay in place and deliver a smooth opening and closing, without falling apart. Measure the width and thickness of your door before stepping into the market and select the right hinge accordingly.
- Frequency of use: The doors that are mostly used require hinges that are strong enough to suffer more wear. For example, multiple cabinets in a kitchen are opened and closed numerous times in a day. Such doors require heavy-duty hinges that do not wear easily. You can even go for soft-close hinges that will help you work noise-freely.
By considering the factors mentioned above, you can pick the right hinges for cabinet doors. We suggest you to always invest in quality to ensure long-lasting and effective performance of the door. The right hinges will keep cabinet doors functioning at its best and will hardly make you feel about the need to replace them. So, next time you go for buying hinges, keep the mentioned factors in mind, and bring home the best.
We hope this piece of information helps you pick the right kind of door hinges for your home!